Like many newlywed couples starting out, Scott and I got our 'starter set' 4 years ago. Mattie, our Brittany Spaniel has been the baby of our house since we brought her home in 2006. The day we brought Kyra home her world changed drastically! She's been adjusting over the past 5 1/2 weeks and getting a little braver about approaching the baby every day. For the most part she sticks to her signature fly by, which generally includes a quick sniff or lick of Kyra's head. She does like to lay down next her when we have her on the floor and is getting more and more curious.
I've been feeling like a bad pet mom lately and know that Mattie is used to a lot more attention than she's been receiving. Our neighbor is a stay at home mom, they have two kids and no pets. When they are out in the yard and see Mattie, they come over to pet her and play with her. Lately Mattie has been spending a lot of time down by the lot line trying to scrounge up some pets from the neighbor kids. It's verging on pathetic, but both the kids and the dog enjoy the routine so I'm just going to go with it. Mattie has always been a snuggler and we can tell she is ready for the day that she can curl up next to this new creature that has entered her life!
Mattie has always been very capable of communicating her displeasure to us. Mostly, she would let me know it had been too long since she had been to the park by taking a pair of my shoes to the backyard. We haven't had anything strewn across the lawn since we moved to the new house, since the yard is over an acre she pretty much feels like she lives in the park. She has let us know twice how she really feels about the attention shift. The first week we were home from the hospital Mattie left me a surprise on the kitchen floor...even though the dog door was open, and apparently she didn't really have to go. It was more of a 'screw you' turd, it was like a chihuahua had snuck in to my kitchen and replaced my 50 pound dog. I decided not to yell at her when I found it since it was an obvious attention grab. She came in from the other room a few minutes later looking around, thinking I was going to really give it to her good, and then was shocked to realize someone had moved her poo. I think she's still confused about it. The second incident was on Friday, I spent the morning getting ready to take Kyra to her first photo shoot, it now takes me approximately 4 hours to get ready to leave the house. When I walked out to the driveway to load the baby in the car I saw that someone had taken Kyra's outfit from the day before out of her hamper, brought it to the driveway and destroyed it. Mattie swears it wasn't her but the teeth marks are pretty inciminating :)
We expected to have at least a couple of these incidents with our princess and are happy that they have been mild and funny. Overall, she's very gentle around Kyra and we haven't had any issues that we couldn't laugh about. We're getting better at balancing our new lives every day and are starting to settle into a schedule which makes it much easier for us to give Mattie the attention she's used to. I swear life will be getting better for her again shortly!


No comments:
Post a Comment