I can't believe we're already 5 weeks in to being parents, you would think we would know what we're doing by now! I guess I'll start by getting up to speed on what's been going on around here. August 19th we welcomed Kyra Audra to the world weighing in at 8 pounds 2 oz and life as we knew it was turned upside down.
We were so lucky to have my mom come stay with us for the first week that we were home from the hospital. I now understand why the 50's amd 60's were so popular, she helped me with the baby, I got to take naps, she cooked and cleaned and had cocktails ready when Scott got home from work. It was like we were living in Mad Men. Scott was in for a rude awakening week 2, suddenly I was exhausted, the house was ragged at best and we were lucky if I showered daily let alone nap. I don't think anyone has ever missed their mother-in-law so much! I've decided that it might be handy if I could get myself a wife, or a housekeeper, Scott isn't too keen on the idea yet but I'm working on my sales pitch.
Kyra made her first road trip at the end of that week, we made it back up to Moville to meet lots of friends and family.
Grandma Kaye and Grandpa Wayne
Kyra and her cousin Wyatt (he's about 3 weeks older than her) The pants she's wearing are longer than her legs, they aren't really the same size!
Aunt Marissa brought a whole box of hair bows with her so Kyra will never again be caught in public without the necessary accessories, you can see she is learning the ropes from her cousin Kylie!
![]() |
Aunt Becky was able to wrestle Kyra away from Kylie long enough to get a few turns holding the baby. |
![]() |
| Kyra and her cousin Clay Thorson, he is 10 weeks in this picture and I can't even imagine my little peanut getting this big! |
We managed to scrape our way through week 2, it wasn't pretty, we made it out in public twice. Both times were for doctor's visits and one trip included a meltdown. I walked out of the doctors office to find Scott holding Kyra in the waiting room, they both looked exhausted and had red faces, only Kyra was sound asleep. Scott made it clear that I needed to start going to these things by myself.Week 3 was much more enjoyable! We made a trip to Kansas City to have lunch with my girlfriend Laura and her baby Henry. He is one day older than Kyra so the moms decided that this was officially their first date.
This date happened to end with projectile vomit in the parking garage (her not me) followed by a complete strip down and start over in the back of the car (again, her not me). After completing this and managing to make it home in one piece I was starting to feel like I could handle the curveballs that this mom thing was going to throw at me. (Cue sinister knowing laugh from all moms who are reading this!) I was just happy that Henry didn't see all of this, he would never want to ask her to the prom if he had, haha!
We hit week 4 in stride and I'm amazed at how much she changes every day. In this week, she discovered the toys on her bouncy seat and actually started reaching for them.
This was big for a couple of reasons, of course the normal developmental reasons, she's obviously a genius, but more importantly I can now put her down for 10-20 minutes and she entertains herself! My life can now be lived in short spurts rather than waiting for her to take a nap, I'm now able to brush my teeth before 11:00 a.m. which I think is a major step in my return to normal adult life.
![]() |
| Kyra at 4 weeks |
This week we reached another major milestone...we went out and left Kyra with a sitter...twice! In our pre-parent lives we were silly enough to buy tickets for Ron White and an MS fundraiser, thinking that 15 days after my due date would be plenty of time to get used to having a baby at home and find a sitter. In retrospect I must have been insane and this is one time that Kyra coming 10 days early really worked out in my favor! After a couple glasses of wine the anxiety over the whole situation went away and we did really enjoy ourselves. Scott is determined that we will have a "stable" of sitters and I think we got a pretty good start. Kyra gets a little fussy (ok a lot fussy) in the evening, we came home Friday night and I could tell she had given the sitter a run for her money, but Sam won! This is the end result, we obviously had nothing to worry about :)
And before I could even get changed and ready for bed, this was the scene in the living room:
Scott obviously enjoyed his night out as much as Kyra did!
Kyra is 5 weeks today and doing great. My sister-in-law and I have been taking the babies (aka cousin Wyatt from the above picture) to a breastfeeding group at the hospital. It's not as creepy as it sounds and the main draw is that they weigh the babies every week. Miss Thing gained 11 ounces last week and is now weighing in at a hearty 9 pounds 12 ounces, I can't believe I was ever worried that she wasn't eating enough! This is great because she's starting to be a little more sturdy, she can hold her head up pretty well, squirm around on her tummy, hold her rattle...and we're not so worried that we're going to break her all of the time. So we've got that going for us :)
















Yay yay yay! Miss Kyra has a blog! I'll be adding you to the blog list as soon as I'm done commenting! Looks like you are a natural Mama-and she is beautiful(and begging for aunt Jenny to hold her!)
ReplyDeleteWow never followed a blog before, but I think it's a great idea. Glad Kyra could be my first one to follow. Looks like you are doing great, your a natural, that's doing the whole mommy thing, not blogging. Not that you aren't a good blogger you are good at that too! Ok well keep the blogs coming!
ReplyDeleteWelcome to my blog world...yes it is much easier than sending e-mails. It sounds like you and Scott have been doing really well, congrats!! BTW having a few babysitter lined up is really important, and even a mom's little helper for when you just need an extra pair of eyes!
ReplyDeleteSo well written, like a true Iowa grad! I'm even more in love with Kyra now than I was before. Such personality! Just like her lovely mother. Can't wait to see you all!! Love all the pics!
ReplyDelete